Monday 4 January 2021

A Story Etched on a Zippo

 

Vintage brass Zippo lighter before and after polishing.

Several years ago, I got interested in Zippo lighters and wanted one for myself. While many boys my age were interested in doing tricks with the Zippo, I was more taken by its heritage and history.

With my conscription into the military looming, finding out that the US soldiers were issued with a Zippo lighter had a certain resonance with me. It represented a certain commonality, camaraderie, and brotherhood.

My mother was slightly hesitant to get me one, as she probably wondered if I am going to take up smoking or have already done so. To her relief, I have since used it to light the occasional candle or melt wax to seal my letters.

While new ones were readily available at shopping malls, I was adamant about getting a vintage one. For an iconic piece of Americana, having some story behind it adds a little more meaning to it. What I did not consider back then was that it could be a plain old lighter and the seller might not have any idea about its provenance.

On a Saturday morning, I dragged my poor mother to Normanton Park condominium, which houses By My Old School, a shop which sells all sorts of vintage curios (they have since moved to Commonwealth).

The helpful sales assistant retrieved a brass Zippo lighter. I did not tell her my desire to find one that has some sort of story behind it, but she seemed to have read my mind. The lighter had an inscription on it:

Dearest 
    A.J.

Quit, Quit,
Quit.

Love, 
    F.P.

Back then, I did not think much about the inscription. I seemed to be only interested in the idea of owning something with some history—any history, whatever it might be. The sales assistant did not know about the provenance of the lighter, but the fact that it has some history was enough to satisfy me. 

Over the years, spots and all sorts of blemishes have appeared on the lighter, as they threatened to bury the inscription. Having had some free time towards the end of 2020, I decided to complete tasks that I have been putting off for the longest time. 

As I polished the brass and the inscription emerged, I began to wonder about the actual history and story behind the inscription. 

This is probably a gift from a certain F.P. to A.J. If the former wants the latter to quit smoking, why would F.P. enable A.J.’s habit with a lighter as a gift? 

I initially dismissed it as silly and irrational. 

Perhaps F.P. gave up hope on A.J. ever quitting and this was some last-ditch attempt? Or was this a smart move to subtly remonstrate with A.J. every time a cigarette is lit, as the brass reflected the embers? 

Wait a minute… 

What is the relationship between F.P. and A.J.? I simply assumed they are married… could they be lovers or just friends? How long have they known each other before this gift was given? Are F.P. and A.J. initials of their actual names or nicknames they gave to each other? 

Thinking about the inscription has raised an endless stream of questions. It is amazing how seven words etched on a brass casing reveal the complexities of human relationships: our desires, foibles, and frailties. 

If only there was a way to find out the identities of F.P. and A.J. Then again, not knowing allows me to ponder about the possibilities—a pleasure in itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment