Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Fresh Start

I decided to start a new blog for I felt my previous blog was getting stagnant and stale. Besides, the term, savoir-faire is not a befitting description to my vision of the blog. Savoir-faire is to be defined as having the knowledge of what to do in any situation. Hence, I felt that 'Prelude' is a more befitting title for my blog for in reading my posts, you will get a prelude to me as a person and in consequence, my gentle readers will be able to form an opinion or develop a clearer understanding of myself.

Anyway, I have decided to include the latest post from my previous blog entitled 'Hospital Stay'. So here goes:


The one week stay at Changi General Hospital was an adventure in which I got to meet several colourful personalities that did gave me insights about life and love. If this post were to be developed into a book, its title will be a shameless rip-off from a best selling novel - 'The People You Meet in a Ward'.

During the first four days of my hospital stay, I was in a C class ward 47 which consists of eight beds. While it was slightly suffocating due to the mass of patients, nurses (including the nursing students) and doctors around, it is brimming with life so much so that it is as if there were neither doctors nor patients, just a celebration of life. Of course, I do exaggerate on that account but what gave it so much life was the enthusiasm and the willingness of the nurses and the nursing students.

The ITE nursing students were absolutely fabulous. They were attentive, sensitive and extremely innovative in overcoming the problems I have with moving due to a bad knee. Never was there a single occasion did they complain but every single moment was filled with genuine care and concern. They bring with them an overwhelming sense of cheerfulness as I find myself giggling away at some of their quirky antics as it often makes me forget about the pain in my knee. It is an utter shame that our society as a whole has several preconceived notions with regards to the ITE students. In my opinion, they are as able, intelligent and have the same potential as the poly or even the JC students. What becomes of them truly depends on the individual and going to a supposedly 'not-so-good' (forgive me for the lack of a better expression) institution does not spell the end of the journey. So I would like to say an exceptionally big thank you to the ITE nursing students and my sincere wishes in your studies. Keep the smile and cheer and you guys will make exceptional nurses - a gift to our healthcare system.

Another set of interesting characters one gets to meet in a hospital would be, of course, the fellow patients. In this instance, the myriad of ailments and illnesses that plague these poor souls is a sobering lesson about life and the true meaning of life. With regards to this group of people, you will get to meet the optimists and the pessimists and should one observe them closely, you will see that their attitudes does play a crucial role in determining the progress of their condition. In observing these fellows, I realise how wonderful it is to spend the day slowly and savouring every moment. In this tumultous economic downturn, it is even more important not to tie any indulgence and activity to its economic value or productivity. We should learn to savour life's brief moments for the joy that it brings, even if it seems unproductive. It is never unproductive if you are spiritually uplifted by the activity.

So there you have it, the people you meet in the ward.

No comments:

Post a Comment